Kindergarten Information for Students Entering School in 2014-15
Kindergarten Options for Incoming Students
The Redwood City School District offers a variety of school options for incoming kindergarteners. You may register your child to attend kindergarten at your assigned neighborhood school, you may fill out a Schools of Choice application for one of the Schools of Choice without neighborhood boundaries (Adelante, Orion, Spanish Immersion at Selby Lane), or you may fill out a Schools of Choice application to attend a neighborhood school other than your assigned neighborhood school. Please read the information below carefully so that you understand the steps you need to take to register your child for kindergarten.
Kindergarten Cut-off Dates for 2013-14:California law recently changed regarding kindergarten cut-off dates. Your child must be 5 years old on or before September 1, 2014 to register for kindergarten in 2014-15.
If you want your child to attend your assigned neighborhood school:
• Families who live within the school boundary can register at their assigned school at Kindergarten Pre-Registration from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday, January 25, or they can come to the district office at the following times:
2/4: 3-6 pm
2/18: 3-6 pm
2/27: 9am-4 pm
OR, by appointment: Call 650-423-2200
• Students are enrolled in their neighborhood school in the order in which they register. In the event that all spaces at a neighborhood school fill before all neighborhood students are registered, students are assigned a number on the waitlist according to time and date. (e.g. the earlier you register, the higher your student will be on the waitlist)
• Please note that the only school that has not been able to accommodate all neighborhood families in recent years is Hawes School. Roy Cloud and Clifford, as well as all other district schools, have been able to enroll all neighborhood families who register during February.
• Families can confirm their placement at the neighborhood school after March 17 by calling their assigned school office.
If you want your child to attend Adelante, the Spanish Immersion program at Selby Lane or Orion:
• Please visit the school prior to submitting your application. Students will not be admitted unless their parent/guardian visits the school first. Please contact the school to arrange a visit.
• You are no longer required to register at your assigned neighborhood school prior to submitting a Schools of Choice application. However, you should still register at your assigned neighborhood school during the February kindergarten registration period if you plan to send your child to any other RCSD school if they are not placed at Adelante or Orion.
• If the number of applicants exceeds the number of spaces available, students will be assigned a number on the waitlist according to the district’s priority order of enrollment and a random computer lottery process. (Please refer to www.rcsdk8.net/enrollment for more details.)
• The District will inform families by February 13 if their student has a place in the kindergarten class at Adelante or Orion. If parents do not receive a letter notifying them that their child has a space, they may call the District Office at 423-2237 to find out their child’s place on the wait list.
• If a child is placed at Adelante or Orion, they must register at that school office from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday-Friday, February 18-28.
If you want your child to attend a neighborhood school other than your assigned neighborhood school:
• Please register for kindergarten at your assigned neighborhood school from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday, January 25, or at the district office during the following times:
2/4: 3-6 pm
2/18: 3-6 pm
2/27: 9am-4 pm
• If the number of spaces available after all neighborhood students are placed exceeds the number of students who apply, students will be assigned a number on the waitlist according to the district’s priority order of enrollment and a random computer lottery process. (Please refer to www.rcsdk8.net/enrollment for more details.)
• Placement for kindergarten students who apply to attend a neighborhood school other than their neighborhood school is ongoing after March 15 – the District will notify families if a space for their child becomes available. Families may call 423-2237 to find out their child’s place on the waitlist after March 15.
When registering your child, you are required to bring one copy, plus the original of the following documents:
1. Birth Certificate, Baptismal certificate or passport, parent/guardian photo ID.
2. Proof of residence: Current, original utility bills or original rental receipt with manager or owner phone number, plus one of the following: Sales contract, grant deed, or current property tax bill (home owners) or rental agreement or original rental receipt with manager or owner phone number (renters), or notarized letter from owner or renter or your residence and a utilities bill in their name (renting a room).
3. Health records: Immunization record: polio, diphtheria, measles, mumps and rubella required; Hepatitis B is required for kindergarten only; TB is optional. Booster for measles, mumps and rubella also needed before kindergarten.
InfoSnap Online Registration System: In addition to showing the documents above, all families will need to complete registration forms through our online registration system, InfoSnap. If you have access to a computer, you may complete the online registration on your own after you show the documents above. We will offer assistance with the InfoSnap online process during Kindergarten Pre-Registration on January 25 or at the designated times above. If you would like assistance, please bring: Employer names with addresses & phone numbers, at least 2 emergency contacts names & phone numbers, doctor & dental names & phone numbers, your Health Plan & Medical Numbers, a list of allergies, medications and any emergency health information.
Last Modified on January 21, 2014